25 July 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

So, after watching many cooking shows, I felt the urge to do some baking myself. I love red velvet cake and I love cupcakes, so I decided to make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing, all from scratch.

The cupcakes did not turn out as good as I wanted. I ended up cooking them a little too long, so they're a bit dry, but the icing is absolutely delicious! I added my own variations to a recipe I found online, and I love the results that I got.

Here are a few pics of my first attempt at "gourmet cupcakes".



My cream cheese icing is as follows:

1/2 Cup of butter (softened)
2 8oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
2 1/4 Cup of confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon Almond extract
3 dash of cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
Add confectioner's sugar gradually.
Add extract and cinnamon and nutmeg.
Place in refridgerator until ready to use.

Now I found that the icing tasted a little too much like cream cheese, but if you like cream cheese, then that is fine. The next time I make this icing, I will try it with 1 8oz. package and go from there.

Well, I hope you all enjoy the cupcakes as much as my family and I did!

1 comment: